Tips for keeping the house safe this holiday season.
Whether you’re holidaying on the other side of the world or simply at the beach down the road, if you’re leaving your home for the annual summer break, it can mean there is an increased risk your home will become a target for thieves.
The good news is, there are a few tips and tricks you can use which can make a huge difference in protecting your most valuable asset and safeguarding your home against thieves this summer holiday season:
- Double check the locks
o Check your homes existing locks and if necessary refit new ones, such as deadlocks and bolts, on doors and windows.
- Make a list of valuables
o Keep an up-to-date list of any valuables such as jewellery, antiques, electronics and artwork. Take a photo of each item to keep on file and ensure your insurance company also has a copy.
- Keep keys in a safe place
o Don’t leave house keys hidden outside, as experienced thieves will know where to look. Instead, leave a set of keys with your Realtor at Harcourts. (No charges and easy for people to collect if needed)
- Lock away garden tools and ladders as they could potentially help a would-be thief to gain access to your home.
- Use automatic timer switches for lamps, TVs or stereos to come on then turn off each night.
- Arrange to have your letterbox emptied daily. Nothing is a bigger signal to thieves than an overflowing letterbox, or newspapers piling up on the lawn.
- For longer holiday breaks, arrange to have the lawn mown and the house aired with windows opened occasionally (whilst someone is at the house), so it’s apparent someone is either living in or visiting the home regularly.
- Don’t leave a message on your phone indicating that you are away and be careful not to mention the duration of your trip on social media. Recent research has shown that thieves canvas social media to try and identify people who may be away and to locate their address.
- If possible, ask a trusted friend or family member to be your house sitter.
If you are located on Vancouver’s North Shore take advantage of Harcourts real estate’s complimentary holiday secure key care and property check-up service. Call the office at 604 770 3818 for more details.